Thursday, March 13, 2008

Last Saturday I...

...got one of these.

The-coolest-thing-ever.

I was planning to get one the minute I heard they were coming but my practical side said, "Wait for version two." I figured it would be announced at Macworld but instead they started their own airline - MacBook Air. So, my practical side again said, "Wait for version two," despite the fact they had already dropped the price a hundred bucks.

But then two things happened. First, the battery on my Sprint phone wouldn't hold a charge longer than an hour of talking. I dutifully went to the Sprint store and had them give me a new battery, thinking I had to be practical and wait for version two. Well, the new battery gave me maybe two hours, which is useless if you're out for the whole day and get a lot of calls.

Secondly, I planned this trip to London. I called Sprint and found out they don't have any service in the UK. I called AT&T, and they do. That was the straw that broke this camel's back. I had to jump into the iPhone pool. Not that I wanted to shell out the $399 but what choice did I have?

So, I tripped the light fandango over to the Apple Store and picked up my new baby. Then I went to the AT&T store and set up the plan. And that's when I realized I was an idiot. The plan I got at the AT&T store was less money than the plan I had with Sprint. Not to mention it includes all the data service and text messaging, which I didn't have on my Sprint phone. The money I'm saving on the new plan will pay for the phone in about eight months. If I'd purchased the iPhone when they dropped the price, I'd have paid for more than half of it by now. And would have had several months of joy to go along with it. Stupid me.

But I guess it's better late to the party than missing it altogether. It is so great to get my emails when I'm out and about without having to stop outside a Starbucks and open my laptop. It's so great to have online maps at my fingertips. OK, I know I sound like an idiot who has been living in a bomb shelter for the last five years. I know you all have your Blackberrys and Sidekicks and Treos. Go ahead and laugh. But just know, I'm glad I waited for the iPhone because the graphics blow all others out of the water. It's like having a mini computer in your hand.

It's-the-coolest-thing-ever.

No comments: