Monday, July 07, 2008

Happy Birthday, Mr. Starkey!

And in honor of this Beatle's birthday, I am releasing a fine art photography print of the man who wore rings.

I pulled this one out of the people I shot who are fortunately still alive box back in March and debuted it at the Fest for Beatle Fans in New York. I was planning to launch it on my blog and website right after that but I've been so busy I just haven't gotten around to it. Until now. Since he's the birthday boy.

This photo was taken in November 1974 at Capitol Records in Los Angeles. I had shot George (Harrison) on November 2nd and then made a trip to L.A. to see if I had a hope in hell of making it in the B.C. (Big City) After making the 24 hour drive and landing at the Continental Riot House on Sunset I made a call to someone who invited me and my camera to the Ringo Starr press conference for the launch of his album, Goodnight Vienna. I took that as a very good sign on my chances of making it in the B.C. even though it wasn't an actual job or anything. Just an opportunity to shoot some photos of another Beatle.

It was a lot of fun as they had a big production after the press bit where they had a space ship flown to the top of the Capitol Records building where they ultimately shot a video of Ringo singing a song from the album, with Harry Nilsson sitting in a lawn chair off to the side.

This is my favorite shot of him from the press conference:

If you are interested in owning a lovely silver gelatin archival print of this picture, I am running a Ringo Starr birthday special. The 16x20 Limited Edition of 75 numbered & signed prints is currently available at $275 per print ($500 framed) and an 11x14 Open Edition signed print is $125 per print ($225 framed).

I'll have this deal up on the website by the end of the day tomorrow. If you want it sooner than that you can send an email to info@cheshercat.com and we'll take care of you.

A year and a half after I took this photo I was sent to Ringo's house by Klaus Voormann to discuss the various pieces of Klaus' artwork that I needed for Starart. He spent a couple of hours with me discussing what I was doing with the book. It was at that initial meeting that he told me Ronnie Wood was a great artist and that I should have him in the book. I had no idea he was an artist so I am indebted to Ringo for the suggestion. Ringo also showed up for the gallery opening of Starart and also purchased #7/300 of the Limited Edition version of the book. He was very supportive.

Happy Birthday, Richie. And keep on rockin'!

No comments: