Tuesday, April 25, 2006

American Idol

I am sitting here finishing up my screenplay with American Idol playing on my TV in the background. So, I'm typing away and I hear Elliot Yamin mention Donny Hathaway. I start paying attention when I hear the word 'honor' and he points out that Hathaway's daughter is one of the Idol back-up singers. Rewind the Tivo. Elliot says, "I'm going to sing 'A Song For You' by Donny Hathaway." He went on to say he's been waiting his whole life to "sing this song on a stage like this," and that he wanted to honor Donny Hathaway's music.

Shock. I had no idea Donny Hathaway was dead. I shot him and didn't know that he died way back in 1979. I only have a couple of neg strips on him. I shot him backstage but those look too thin to print. A couple of the live shots look like they might be okay. Donny Hathaway had a sweet voice. He was an American Idol. And I will pay tribute to him in my book.

Note to self: Go through all my pictures and google every last one of the musicians I shot. And after that's done, post a new Dearly Departed list.

No comments: