Sunday, January 14, 2007

I Feel Bad

Two weeks ago it was New Year's Eve. December 31, 2006.

December was when I faithfully started paying tribute to my dearly departed musicians on their birthdays and deathdays. In order to remember (don't forget, my brain is made of Swiss cheese), I mark them on my calendar a month in advance. Just like I put EISID as a to do item on every day. Here's what February looks like:

Even with all this, I still missed two tributes. One birthday and one deathday. On December 31st. And the only reason I realized my faux pas was because I was working on the book today so I could check off today's "Write on Everybody." I dipped into my 'To Scan' file and pulled out a set of negs. As I finished scanning all 34 photos, I had this haunting feeling. I looked him up on my list and kicked myself. He died on New Year's Eve. How did I miss putting that on my calendar?

I looked at my calendar. I didn't forget. His name was there, along with another musician - for his birthday. I don't know how I missed it. I'd like to say it was because I was out partying, but that would be a lie. I was here. On my computer. Just like I am now. Working.

Time to rectify my lapse. Two weeks late to the day. Better late than never? I hope so.

Both died in plane crashes. One on the other's birthday.

Rick Nelson
5/8/40 - 12/31/85


John Denver
12/31/43 - 10/12/97

A moment of silence for Rick and a Happy Birthday to John. Albeit, belated.

I miss you both.

No comments: