Friday, March 09, 2007

Is Everybody I Shot Dead?

Beginning to seem like it. Two nights ago when I went through some of my negs again, I looked up John Hartford. Saw his . Thought, "He's looking good. Glad he's still playing." And moved on.

Then today, I'm browsing an extensive 'these entertainers are dead' list online and there was his name. Did some more checking - just in case there was another John Hartford. Sure enough, the John Hartford I shot is dead. From non-hodgkin’s lymphoma on June 4, 2001. His website is online as a memorial. But it doesn't say anything about him being dead until the end of his biography. Nothing on the front page.

Thankfully, I found out from another source so I can honor him in the book. If you don't know who he is...he wrote the multi-Grammy winning song, Gentle On My Mind. And for those of you who are too young to remember that song, he also won a Grammy for his contributions to the O Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack.

Some days this project is really depressing. Like today. Damn. I really wish everybody I shot was alive.

No comments: