Friday, March 30, 2007

Kismet

I wanted to call this post synchronicity but I used it already. Therefore, kismet will have to do. Or maybe it's fate.

As you know, I have been concerned about my Keith Knudsen photos. As opposed to my John Hartman photos. Both being drummers in the Doobie Brothers at the same time, the former being dead and the latter much alive. Even though I'm pretty sure who's who, it would be a colossal mistake if I printed John Hartman for Keith Knudsen.

I posted my conundrum and received several helpful suggestions but not enough to be certain. I was going to post again or maybe get Dave Chamness - the guy who won my Lowell George contest and seems to know everything about everybody as it pertains to rock'n'roll - to look at both pics and see if he could make a positive, without a doubt, I.D. Because the last thing I want to do is spend thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars to print a book that cannot be released.

Then today I had a lunch meeting with Roger. Remember Roger? He's my printer dude. He set up the meeting for me to meet another printer/publisher dude from their company. The publishing side of their company has put out several coffee table books pertaining to the music world. They wanted to know what my distribution plans were and are interested in playing a part. More on that next week.

Anyway, we had a very nice lunch at an Italian restaurant in Old Pasadena. In a previous post, I mentioned how much I liked Roger from the moment I met him. Turns out I instantly liked the printer/publisher dude, too. We'll call him Michael. We talked a lot about the business; what they were releasing this Fall and what I am planning to do with my book. We also talked a lot about marketing.

Then, toward the end of our lunch, Michael said something to Roger about the guy he met for breakfast today in Sherman Oaks. (Side note: I live in Sherman Oaks). A guy who toured with the Doobie Brothers. Uh, hello? I've been trying to get through to someone who could give me a positive I.D. on the Doobie Brothers' drummer for my book.

As luck or kismet would have it, the guy Michael met for breakfast gave him two business cards. So Michael gave me one of them. What's really weird is I think I've seen his card before. One of those deja vu feelings. Of course, I called him as soon as I got home. We're going to get together tomorrow. He lives about a mile down the road from me. Literally.

How 'bout them apples?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent, Deborah! Don't ya love the way the universe works sometimes?