Saturday, May 16, 2009

Road Trip Diary Day 5

Believe it or not, after getting to bed really late on Day 4, I actually got up at 6am and we were at Starbucks by 6:20 and on the highway at 6:30. The downside was that I could barely keep my eyes open during many legs of the all-day drive. The main reason for the early start was I/we wanted daylight the whole way...because we were driving through the Canadian Rockies.

An hour and a half in I needed a pit stop in Hope. I have a favorite coffee house there called The Blue Moose. Guess I shoulda taken a photo of the blue moose instead of the bear across the street...

The first real sign of spring...

Then a hundred miles later we're back in winter...

Seriously...this is the middle of May?

We made a pit stop in Salmon Arm (yes, that's the name of the town)...where you can find DeMilles - the grooviest market/farm ever. In the summer they have delicious cherries the size of golf balls...we bought honey pots, fresh veggies and I even bought some authentic sponge toffee (I'll take a photo of that later)...

DeMille's also has a bunch o' farm animals...

Baaa-haa-haa.

This particular peacock is actually a ham.

This guy reminds me of the dude in Pirates with the snakey beard.

A Real Rock Star

My obsession with tunnels continues...


The snow and near-blizzard conditions hit us again from Golden, BC to Banff, Alberta. So, even though it was daylight all the way to Banff, we couldn't see shit... :-( and apologize for not having pictures of the amazing Canadian Rockies. Feel free to google image them.

Geez, snow even stuck to the ground at the Banff Springs Hotel...

And Banff Avenue was pretty nasty...

We hit our final destination in Calgary somewhere around 9pm.

Miles traveled: 600.

Hours in car: 13 1/2 because we lost an hour going into MST.

Went to sleep: I dunno...12:30 or 1am?

Woke up: 8am...a little shaky and slightly unprepared for what came next.

1 comment:

Steve B said...

Wow! you can't even see the mountains at the end of the street! I know what you mean about driving at night up there. When I went to Banff, we pulled over and slept for awhile in the car in the middle of nowhere - I was scared to death to get out! Bears, big bears, hungry bears!