Thursday, July 30, 2009

Number 26

I do not have a title for this post because I have no idea what it's about. I just know I have a negative - nevermind, I just got the title - that is not labeled, other than the number 26. I've just gone back and typed in the title. Continuing on...

I'm scanning the first four strips as I type this. The only thing I could see as I loaded them in was some large speakers. I'm going to assume for the moment that they are part of the Kelly-Deyong sound system for some concert I was invited to by Dave Zeffert in the very early days of my rock'n'roll photography biz. No idea if there's a musician in these negs or who that musician may be if there is one. This is discovery. And it's fun.

OK...I still can't tell. The preview scan is too small to make out anything other than the speakers. I'm scanning them now at a high enough resolution to be able to see something. Wow, 5 minutes to go...must have over-rezzed it.

Waiting....

Waiting....

Waiting....

4 mins...

Waiting...

Sheesh...

I could always take out my lupe and check the remaing three strips and see what's there. But that would spoil it. The edge-of-my-seat tension I am feeling at this moment is kind of cool. My own personal thriller movie playing out in real time.

Fuck...2 mins...

The file will be too huge to open...I may have to delete and start again.

Yay! Less than a minute. Tick, tick, tick...my scanner obviously can't tell time.

Done...page is saving. Then have to open it in Photoshop. Oh boy, 281 MB. That's big. Okay...almost open. Speakers, microphones - welcome to my crack pipe - what was I thinking?

Now I'm really confused. One strip is a friend of mine that I used to shoot in Toronto. What's he doing on Number 26? I'm going to scan a few of these individually so I can show you what I'm talking about and then move on to the last three strips. Hopefully, I'll come up with a logical answer to this mystery.

You know, every time I pull one of these neg sheets out I'm thinking this will be a quick post and I can get on with the rest of my day. Somehow that just never works out. I always end up down the rabbit hole.

From the first strip...meet the speakers:

What are the clues here? It's outdoors. There's some sort of stage. No idea where or when this was taken.

Meet the speaker from the second strip:

Hmmm...maybe it's not outside. I got a tinge of recognition...could this be the sound system that was put together at the sound company (company is a generous word - there were 3 of us) before I moved to Vancouver. The one I wrote about in the "My Story" section of Everybody I Shot Is Dead? Did we actually get it together and do a show?

From the third strip...a microphone:

How fucking arty is that shot? What does it have to do with the first two shots other than being in the equipment family? It doesn't even look like the same day...more like night. Moving on...

As I thought, this is the friend from Toronto...Ron Baumber...

But this is not Toronto. He came to visit me when I was on my brief stopover in Calgary before I moved to Vancouver and started shooting people like John Lee Hooker and Jerry Lee Lewis. I guess I hooked him up with a gig at this place. It's not the Keg, it's the fancier place out on McLeod Trail and I think it's still there because I drove by there on my road trip and was like, "Oh I remember ______, didn't I work there for five minutes?" And now two months later I can't remember that name of it. Sad. Anyway, my conjecture on the speakers is seeming more of a reality.

Speaking of not remembering, who is this guy? Also from strip four:

Did I know him? He's kinda cute. But what was I doing taking a picture of him (2 actually...so far) if I was there with Baumber? The plot thickens. On to the last three strips of Number 26.

Wait, I've been working on this post for an hour and a half. Far too long for this whimsy. I'll catch up with you on the last three strips tomorrow.

No comments: