Thursday, July 09, 2009

Rock and Roll Doctor...

...each and every one of us needs one on call.

First, here's my picture of the day...

...for no other reason than I took it today and I like it.

Right now I'm listening to the Deluxe Edition double CD of Waiting For Columbus by Little Feat. I got a text an hour ago asking me what song I thought this certain current young band should cover. Something with lots of vocal parts. The band also does original stuff but they sometimes like to cover old school stuff (God bless 'em), and I can tell you they do a kick ass version of The Weight.

This is an old performance from the The Band, worth checking out...



I went through my usual suspects and off the top of my head came up with CSNY, earlier Chicago, the Beach Boys, pre-disco Bee Gees and the Byrds. Then I went to my iTunes and suggested some individual songs. First one was Mr. Manager by Badfinger when they were The Iveys which I think is pretty obscure...and I happen to know that this band loves Badfinger.

But then I thought of Little Feat. What a freakin' great live band and they have lots of songs to mine from off Waiting for Columbus (there's 27 tracks) with great vocal parts. I suggested this one (the best version on youtube won't let me embed...but you can check it out )....



And, of course, Willin' is always a good choice.

Agree? Disagree? Any other suggestions I can pass along?

1 comment:

Steve B said...

A most excellent choice! Aside from the groups you already mentioned, I would add any number of songs by the Beatles, or the Eagles.