Thursday, November 26, 2009

Three Pictures

This was not supposed to happen. I had a list. Two pages. Things I need to get done during this holiday weekend. I even had a plan yesterday for what I was going to post today. It was going to be some photos of REO Speedwagon because yesterday when I was looking for the Turkey Trot on youtube I came across this...



Thought that, along with a couple of REO photos, would make a delicious Thanksgiving post. So much for plans. I couldn't find my REO negs. I recall seeing them a while back so I know they're around but...not today.

From that search I started looking through some slide boxes for a blog post spark. I found some pictures in a slide box labeled abstract. These are three that I picked to scan and post. This became a huge time suck for me. Spending all the time browsing for pictures then pulling out a total of 15 to scan, scanning (I've done 5 so far), retouching out the dust spots (total time suck), adding a border to one, writing this, etc, etc. Seriously, figure three hours. Sheesh.

Anyway, I think it's worth it. I really like these pictures. If you've been reading me at all since September, you know I love taking photos when I'm on the bus. Turns out it's not a new habit. I've been doing it since I got my first real camera. Back when I was a mere teenager. I believe this was taken in Toronto. Probably on the trolley. I like this shot because I think it's cinematic. People shot from the back seem to have a story to tell. It makes me really curious to know who they are and where they are going. I stare at the photo waiting (and hoping) for them to turn around and reveal their faces...

Looks like I also like to shoot on trains. This may have been a train trip I took from Toronto to Sarnia to visit my Grandmother. Although I don't remember being in a dining car. I do remember the trip back. I was in a seat facing a guy and a girl. Before the girl introduced herself I told her I could guess her name. She didn't believe me. I said her name was Susan. I was right. And then said her last name was McDonald. Right again. It really freaked them out. But not as much as it freaked me out. I had no idea how I did it. There was no trickery involved. I just spit it out. Turns out I'm psychic...but only when I'm on that particular train.

This is one of my favorite pictures. A double exposure in the camera. I don't remember the guy's name but I remember I really liked his looks. Especially his nose...in profile. Yeah, I'm weird. He's from England. One of the guys that was working with Deep Purple that took me to the beach and sailing on my birthday. It was my first time in L.A. on my own and I was staying at the Continental Riot House. I think there's a story about it in the "My Story" section of my book, Everybody I Shot Is Dead. Click on this one to see it bigger. There's a lot to see. I impressed myself with my precision in lining up his head in each of the shots. I have no idea why there are two completely different scenes happening in the sand for each of the shots. Crazy...

To my US readers...I hope you all had (are having) a wonderful Thanksgiving. And are as stuffed as your turkey.

No comments: