Sunday, November 01, 2009

When plans change...

Can you believe it? It's November 1st.

In other I can't believe it news, I did this today...

Just this morning there was no wood visible on my desk. It hasn't been visible for a few weeks.

I had big plans today. Besides cleaning my desk. Some of the things I planned were accomplished, but the one I was really looking forward to was not. I was going to a screening of this...

...that included a Q&A after the screening with Terry Gillian. It was one of those screenings that was incredibly overbooked. The movie started at 6 so I got there at 4:30, not wanting to miss it. I wasn't that far back in the line. I also invited a friend to come. He was super excited to go. But right when we were about six feet from the sign-in table we were log-jammed. Not a good sign.

We waited along with the 12 or so people in front of us and the throngs of people behind us for about 20 minutes. It was five past six when we were finally told the seats were filled. Bummer.

Now this huge disappointment could have been an evening-ruining event. We decided to head to the Arclight to see what was going on there. I've been jonesing to see a movie in a theater for a few weeks. Unfortunately my friend had seen about every movie that was playing. So we went to the bar and had a drink to decide if we could muster up any enthusiasm to see Amelia. Nope.

Where sat in the bar I had a view of the screening board. I kept noticing this one title in the top right corner of the board. It was as if the title was speaking to me. I didn't know the movie...been too busy working to pay attention to the upcoming releases. looked the movie up on my phone and saw that it was British. Can't be all that bad. I finally said to my friend, "What about An Education?" He said sure.

We bought the tickets, hit up the concession for hot dogs and popcorn and saw the movie...

Five minutes in I had forgotten our disappointment in missing Imaginarium. It was great. We had a good time.

What did I learn from this evening gone wrong? When things go wrong there may be something even better around the next corner. Always be open for change.

No comments: