Monday, June 29, 2009

Tim Buckley and Lowell George

Tim and Lowell are forever linked by dying on the same date just four years apart.

I was really pissed off when I found out Tim Buckley passed away. I knew him pretty well after shooting him many times at various clubs and arenas in Vancouver. Even though I was only there for a year and a half, Tim seemed to come up to play almost every month. I had planned to make my move to LA in early July and Buckley was one of the musicians I was counting on to help me break in to the big pond with my photography. Not to mention, he was fun to shoot and I always loved it when he would give me a hard time...which was every time I saw him. Then he had to go and kick it just a few days before I was leaving for L.A. Oddly enough, I almost kicked it the following week, after coming down with a serious case of spinal meningitis the day I was literally getting into my packed car to leave.

So, hanging out with Tim and his band in L.A. was not to be. I'm thankful that I got to know him and photograph him when I did. This picture is one that I found in sheet of unmarked negs, so it's not in my book.

2/14/47-6/29/75

This is one of my favorites from Tim...the Fred Neill song Dolphins...



Ever wonder where Jeff Buckley got his looks and voice? Look no further...




And this is the date we also lost the amazing Lowell George. If you never got to experience Little Feat live with Lowell...well...I feel sorry for you. They were an amazing live band.

I remember the day Lowell died like it was yesterday...I was driving down Topanga Canyon, not far from where Lowell lived, when I heard the shocking news of his death on the radio. Just like that same sad feeling we all experienced a few days ago.

4/13/45-6/29/79

One of my Little Feat favorites...



And if you don't think this is brilliant...well, you just don't know...



I'm really, really missin' both these guys.



You can see lots more pictures and learn more about Tim Buckley, Lowell George and the 46 other musicians in my tribute book, .


5 comments:

Steve B said...

I never got tosee Lowell - the one time i had tickets to see them, my car broke down on the way to Boston. But i remember hearing the news of his death. We were at a Dead concert in Portland, OR the day after, and Bob Weir announced it. A sad day. He had produced their Shakedown Street album the year before.

Carlos Murgueitio said...

Gosh, I found by accident this site, browsing through the net as I was hearing Tim Buckley's rendition of Dolphins... what an amazing and hidden blog...

I bet it was an amazing time the days you took pictures from all this rock n' roll heroes... to see the pictures in this blog * thinking 'bout buying the book also * is very inspiring...

Cheers and, thanks for your art!

Carlos

Chesher Cat said...

Sysyphus...glad you found me...I hate to think my blog is hidden. Hopefully, you will tell your friends about it so I have more visibility.

If you want to get my book you should pick it up while I'm selling it for $15...soon it will be back at $40. The sale link is on my website:
http://www.cheshercat.com/overview.html

Again, welcome! I hope you'll stick around and let me know if you have any questions.

:)

Carlos Murgueitio said...

Really? 15 bucks? Wow... it's quite a great price... is there any chance the book could be shipped to South America? I live in Ecuador.

If so, please... send me a mail to my personal mail at gmail's :

carlos.murgueitio@gmail.com

Once again Thanks!
Carlos.

AmazingChicken said...

Greetings! I found this site looking at a X-ref for the band BackDoor and then saw this post, and felt the need to bleet a few warbles... I didn't know of the date coincidence but liked them both. Saw Lowell in Mansfield MA in 1973 while the guys were touring 'Feats' and immediately was a fan. Thanks for the post - don't know how current but adding you to NewsBlur (my RSS feeder) to watch for more!